Friday, September 16, 2011

My pantry is full.

September for me means many things, but most of all it's canning season.

I was able to get 60 lbs. of peaches, so with that I ended up with 13 Quarts (1L.) of peaches in a light syrup, 3 batches of peach jam (30 half pint jars) and lots of pureed baby food in my freezer. I had almost 55 lbs. of pears and with that I got 10 Quarts (1L.) of pears in light syrup, LOTS of pear puree for baby food, and about 5 1/2 Quarts of pear syrup. I made 1 batch of jalapeno crabapple jelly too!! It's quite rewarding to see my pantry all full.


Peaches in Light Syrup. 

Pears in Light Syrup

Pear Syrup. 
Made from putting the cores & peels in my steam juicer and then taking that juice and combining it with sugar to make this yummy syrup! Makes me feel like all the effort to peel those pears was worth it. Can't wait to try it on some waffles!

Peach Jam. 
I just followed the Liquid Certo Recipe and it hasn't failed me yet. I put my peaches through the blender before making this recipe, as I like my jam all smooth.

Jalapeno Crabapple Jelly
I juiced the crabapples in my steam juicer and then combined that with sugar and pureed jalapenos to make this jalapeno crabapple jelly. It's really yummy with cream cheese and crackers, or a dollop on some ham. Either way, it's worth making!!

Oh, and my saving grace for all the late late nights trying to can while my kids are in bed. I found it REALLY difficult to can and so I chose to forgo sleep to get this all done!

Now to just enjoy the break for a few days until I pick up all the apples to make applesauce. I bought a Sauce Maker/Food Mill thing, so it makes for a quick process. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! I love the picture of the coke can at the end. We tasted the jam tonight. It is very delicious! Thanks!

Wes and Meagan said...

Awww- I am glad you are still being the busy bee you like to be. I have been thinking about you alot lately as Make and Mingle and Stay and Play have started again. I miss you and the girls.I miss seeing what the latest project is and seeing the coke and chips for breakfast :) Hope you are all doing well. The canning looks marvelous, of course. You are the best crafty, homemaking person I know!

Janelle said...

Always impressed by your super canning skills!

Maren said...

Oh my goodness! So inspiring! Nice work Andy! Oh and I laughed out loud when I saw the Coke picture. Too funny!